Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 28

I am a Makeup Artist by profession. It's what I found could make some money when oil painting doesn't pay the bills. I look at it as a different canvas. I have a very large Beauty Kit, 3 Special FX and Character Makeup kits, one Hair Styling kit, a large bag of all my disposables and cleaners and a box of prosthetics. I always spend a little more to get the best for my kits.
My makeup bags, however...ugh. I have one small one for daily makeup, one in the linen closet for "extras" such as sponges,  etc and I just found another hiding in my jewelry drawer. In these "extra" bags, I found makeup older than my daughter. (Lipstick, mainly). Women have a serious problem with this. My business kits sparkle and I am constantly cleaning,  sanitizing,  and replenishing them if anything is in there longer than 3 months. I couldn't get over my own makeup bags. I found at least 5 out of date mascaras, over 10 different lipsticks, and even an empty bottle of perfume.
I know a lot of women hang on to items like lipstick because companies stop making that color, etc. It happens with all makeup. Get rid of it! If you need help, I'll helo you find a new color. Your makeup bag is a breeding ground for dirt you wipe on and off your face, oils that expel from the skin, and bacteria just from sitting in enclosed bags and containers. Ew. And you put them in your eyes, face, and mouth. Double ew.
I use one sponge per client in my chair and one "poof". When I am finished everything gets thrown away that is disposable and everything, I mean Everything... eyeshadiw, blush, powder compacts, brushes... get sprayed with pro grade 99% alcohol. Then the brushes are cleaned with brush cleaner on top of proper soap and water maintenance every few weeks.
I have never done this with my own bag. Why? The cleaning process isn't just for the next client... its just sanitary! We dont think of taking care of ourselves as we do others. Well, I'm telling you that you should.
If your mascara is 3 months old or older...chuck it. If you  have lipstick for over a year and barely use it, lesson learned,  throw it away.  If you can get an atomizer at any drug store for .99 and even buy drug store grade 92% or 80% alcohol to spritz on your makeup and sponges, it's a few dollars well spent.
You don't need to spend $300 on face creams, there's plenty of good washes women each find their favorite,  that are within a good price range. However,  you negate that by applying dirty and old makeup everyday. Old mascara could infect your eyes. And no matter how you scrub, dirty blush, powder and shadow will break you out. Dispose sponges often and clean your brushes. Spritz them with alcohol if you don't want to buy brush cleaner.
Today what I do not need or want is crap and dirt collecting in 3 bags just because I like the color or soent 30$ on a mascara. If its old, get rid of it.
Adios, dirty makeup! Hope I grossed you all out enough to pull out your bags and start chucking things right now. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment