We forgot to give our friend the DVD the last time he stopped by, so that will be done this week. The Anthro pants didn't sell on ebay, so onto the bin for Renie. I am really fed up with ebay. It's not worth it.
Recently, the man and I have both reached a truth I think is difficult for our age bracket. When you turn 18, your life is reinvented. You begin new friendships in college and in your newer adult life, and some of your close friends fade. The good ones still call to this day. But, life begins at 18. Things get a bit more serious. Bills come in which makes work important, college takes up your free time with studies, and people move for starting this new aspect of life. It's a "me" time for a bit, or at least it should be. Through your 20s, and after college, you have work, you have a degree, and things get more relaxed as you've eased into the transitions and having free time to hang out with a ton of friends isn't so difficult anymore. At 30, things change again. People have gotten married, started having children, bought homes, got mire serious about their home and work, and even more move. All for the big dream...to have the house, the marriage, the kids, the job, the savings, etc. "Hanging out" becomes scheduling. Going to bed at 9 o'clock doesn't seem abnormal. All this loses all the "fun" we think we're missing out on by missing our twenties and hanging out every night. But what is important? What's needed? And most especially, what do you want now?
Saving becomes important. Your family becomes important, and sadly, as much as you want to hang out all the time, its not as important to almost everyone in this age bracket. It's a realization. No, you haven't lost your good friends, theyre busy doing what they have to for themselves and their families. It's responsible adult time.
The conundrum is knowing its fine, healthy, and needed to have a social adult life but always getting schedules crossed and never really being able to have one. Parents, especially.
In the end, what's more important????
I have a child, I am biased. I do miss having a bunch of fun and energy and hanging out, but the adult in me says going out costs money we need to save, babysitters are almost non existent, and if I have free energy and time, I want to soak up my family for a while.
There are many ways to bring yourselves and even your kids together, but for one reason or another, everyone's busy...living life. And that's what's needed, even if its hard to always want it and not desire a bit more social fun. First rule of parenting: learn to give up your life.
So, since we're trying to get rid of things, and it seems mostly friends are into claiming them for what they need, and we all need some social activity and a break, I'm thinking of being the 30 year old that throws a "trash and treasure" party. Good way to hang out, with or without kids, get rid of stuff, and bring busy friends together.
Here's to our thirties!
I will send invites as soon as I hash it all out. :)
Hey, Whatever Works.
No comments:
Post a Comment